Thursday, February 23, 2012

Punchdrunk

This company is more than a muse to me, though it is that, prompting me to finish works that have gathered dust over years. The company is sort of a manifesto, a religion, blurring the line between what I think is impossible and possible, real and fiction, giving real heft to fancies that I otherwise wrote off as frivolous and not worth realizing in the light of day. And I had the great fortune of meeting Felix Barret, having him hug me, kiss me on my cheek, offer a job ( that I had to sheepishly decline), and sign my Sleep No More mask.

Anyhow, I happened to first see Sleep No More the weekend I first saw Mcqueen's Savage Beauty exhibit at the Met ( and also saw Mark Rylance in Jerusalem.) The three together make for an extraordinary series exploring the dark romantic mysticism of the landscape in the British Isles. It was a sunny weekend in May in Manhattan but the ghosts of the moor loomed nonetheless.

So it was a matter of time before the two found each other and created a visionary experience together. Punchdrunk helped put on McQ's show recently. And it seems by all accounts AWESOME.

http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/fashion/archive/2012/02/20/watch--mcq-autumn-winter-2012-live-stream.htm

http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/fashion/archive/2012/02/23/all-the-secrets-behind-mcqs-spectacular-show--exclusive.htm

No comments: